Saturday, September 3, 2011

Ain't No Sense In Going Home...

So I was talking with Mr C a few months ago and he mentioned this song, "Jody Got Your Girl And Gone," by Johnnie Taylor. When we finished our phone call I thought about that song for a few minutes. My mind was transported to 685 Fuller Avenue, where we lived when the song was released in 1971. Our record player was located in several locations in our house. It could be found in the foyer, living room or dining room - depending on how Mom wanted the furniture arranged for that week. I'd put a stack of albums or forty-fives on the spindle and the fun would begin. Each one would drop and the house would fill with music. I remember playing, "Jody Got Your Girl And Gone." I had no idea what the hell the song was about, but I knew most of the words and would sing right along with Johnnie Taylor. I liked that song when I was a little five year old boy, and I still like it as a grown man. Thanks to Mr C for reminding me of a good song I had forgotten. I can't say I recall all of the lyrics, but I do remember this, "Ain't no sense in going home, Jody got your girl and gone!"
press play to hear the song

No comments:

Post a Comment